Taking It To The Streets
Homelessness Sleepover 2020 | Somerset College
As a community, it is critical that we provide people experiencing homelessness with the support to rebuild their lives and reconnect. The ‘hands on’ nature of our Homelessness Sleepout will allow students to develop a deeper understanding about homelessness on the Gold Coast, allowing students to develop their empathy and provide an opportunity to take action.
Twenty students from Years 7 to Year 12 have volunteered to participate in this year’s event. They will serve meals and have conversations with local people doing it tough at this time of year.
Somerset will proudly partner with national charity Backpack Bed for Homeless and the Backpack Beds they provide to homeless people across Australia will be purchased from money collected. It costs $115 to purchase a Backpack Bed.
Thank you for supporting the young people below in their attempt to raise awareness and some funds for those less fortunate than themselves at this time.
Raised so far
Backpack Bed for Homeless
Backpack Beds are distributed to homeless people without shelter in partnership with over 750 homeless agencies across Australia.
- Waterproof & fire retardant fabric
- Mosquito mesh ventilation
- Built-in 190cm insulated comfort mattress
- Tape sealed main seams
- Full body zipped sleeping area
- Backpack with padded adjustable straps
- 3 x built-in storage pockets
- Lockable internal pocket (+ lock)
- 2 x caribiner clips (clip on extra belongings)
- Ultra lightweight street tough - ONLY 3.1kg
- Awarded an Australian Human Rights Award by the Australian Human Rights Commission